SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sueronn

Maples - inosculate/graft or not?

SueRonN
12 years ago

We have two maples that I'm considering trying to graft to themselves. Both maples receive full sun from about 9 am to 4 pm during the summer and regular irrigation from a sprinkler system.

The red, cutleaf maple is (my guess) approx. 30 years old. Based on the keyhole in the trunk and the self-grafted branch that provides a brace/bridge for the two sides of the maple (see picture), I assume that somebody very experienced maintained it during its early years. Then I believe it had about 15 yrs of neglect and was just chopped to keep it from trailing too close to the ground. 4 years ago when I first got here I called it "Snuffalupogus" due to its tendency to move in one piece or "popsicle on a stick" due to how it looked. 3 yrs ago I began by cleaning out deadwood (lots) and some limited pruning for shape/size control. This winter I removed some large stubs of deadwood (there are still some)and reduced some width in one section. (in the summer I typically remove small branches/twigs to generate some shape/movement) Based on how the maple has grown (large branches crossing, etc.) I was wondering if there was an opportunity to add some additional bracing by grafting it to itself again, but thought I'd better get some input as to whether it's a good idea or not before proceeding (it would be my first grafting attempt). Eventually I'd like to have the maple have a more open aspect and show more of its branching, but I may be limited by how much old growth I'd have to take away from it to achieve this.

The second maple has been in place about 6 years and is a green cutleaf that turns a wonderful pumpkin orange in fall. Based on how it's been trained, is it a good idea to also brace this one's two sides with a self-graft? (I know, it needs a good winter pruning, but this winter I wasn't in the correct frame of mind and thought better safe than sorry).

Thanks in advance for your input...

Sue

Comments (4)