SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paste592

First class today

paste592
19 years ago

Well, we had our first MG class today. The class was about 18-20 people, 2 of whom were male. Ages seemed to range from about 25 to 70. We had a little pre-test, sort of a "you'll know the answers to all these after the course" thingy. I was surprised how much of it I already knew, except for the term, "IPM" to which I cheerfully replied "beats me!" (I now know it's Integrated Pest Management.

Had a couple of hours of botany which were quite interesting. Got to razor apart a couple of seeds and examine them with a loupe, name the parts, etc.

We all introduced ourselves & told where our interests lie -- I was amazed to find one guy was there for turf grasses! Guess he'll stay awake for that class! (I've got to admit, to me a lawn is just a section of the yard that hasn't become a perennial bed ----- yet).

One woman works for one of the local nurseries that I haven't been very impressed with -- you know the kind : as long as you're looking for a petunia they're your shop! Maybe as she gains some knowledge they'll let her help order some good stuff.

The textbook is a 2-inch thick tome called the Maryland Master Gardener's Handbook, and it is really impressive, from what I looked at.

It was a nice class. Next class is on soils, and that's my #1 interest.

Pat

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living