SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherilou_2010

Master Gardners DON'T help the elderly and disabled??

sherilou_2010
13 years ago

I went to the Otero County fair here in New Mexico on 8/13/10 about 2p.m. and there was a Master Gardener's booth. I was so excited to talk to them!! I had never met an official Master Gardener before.

I had heard some where that Master Gardener's log volunteer hours for helping the elderly and disabled. The woman at the Master Gardener's booth told me that WE don't do "that kind" of volunteer work, because everybody would be using us for help and taking advantage of us.

I, very kindly, explained to this woman that the reason I asked is that The elderly couple I volunteer for (ages 84 and 89) need help rototilling their small garden in the late winter and maybe putting-in one more small, raised garden bed. I can't do rototilling or put-in a raised garden bed because my left arm is paralized from a car crash. I help my senior friends by weeding (pain allowing) and watering for them in their small garden as well as by purchasing some seeds and plants for them.

She said she had heard of "some guy in town" that does that, BUT WE DON'T. She didn't even have the guy's contact information.

I was so excited to talk to the Master Gardeners, because I thought I could return to my senior friends with some good news and because I'm passionate about growing little vegetable "Victory Gardens". Instead of enjoying my first experience with Master Gardeners, I got quickly and curtly shut-down and disappointed. I was the only one visiting the booth at the time. There were two women running the booth, neither of them were helpful or interested in me as a gardner.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH