SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kritzmicrogrow

my market garden facts 2008

kritzmicrogrow
15 years ago

hello everybody ! im new to this forum but i have been market-gardening in michigan for 5 years. at first,i bought wholesale amish fresh local produce from the local amish produce auction and sold some from my stands i built at home . i also sold some to the local farmers market. i did best at the markets where i could easily sell out in 4 hours (pickup truck sized load).

i felt that the growers at the markets did not like people selling fresh produce that they did not grow themselves.

i then decided to grow my own.

the winter of 2004 i spent my extra time in front of the wood stove in my workshop-shed. i decided that i would plant a total of 1 acre. also i would build an add on greenhouse to the back of my shed, approx. 15 ft. by 40 ft.

i spent hours studying books on veggie growing techniques from the local library. i went online for any information on

fertilizing,mulching,green-house plant production,seeding, crop yields,bug-disease issues.

i purchased a garden tractor 25 hp-twin and a single plow and adj. row crop cultivator, twin disc. and a large rear tine tiller and a small mantis.i also found a 20 cu. ft. dump cart and a earthway seeder.

the slant roof greenhouse on the south end of my shed cost about 800.00 to build and every feb i install 4 mil. clear plastic.

my first year was very awkward ! my greenhouse held about 200 flats 48 count trays. i planted all veggies ( tomatos-brocolli-cauliflower-cos lettuce-peppers)

i figured that i would save money by growing my own plants for the market garden. i had about a 75% sucess rate. (the extra plants i sold out front in my stand)

as far as production from my crops i learned an awful lot that first year! blossom end rot-lack of soil nutrients-water shortages-insect damage-cheap seed problems-cross polination-and deer damage.

i barely made 1000.00 my first year

i have learned a lot in the last few years. succescive plantings-cover crops-proper tilling methods-crop rotation-

consistent watering-proper calcium and other soil amendments-quality seed & much ,much more !

the final word is i now make about 5000.00 from this little acre paradise this includes greenhouse production.

i beleive that i can hit a goal of 7500.00!

not enough to live on but a nice little added income and plus its a whole-lot of adventure.

i think its great for anybody to give this a try. especially with a lot of other jobs drying up out there!

i live in mid-michigan year round. please comment on my article.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting