SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minibite_gw

What's your opinion re. poinsonous plant?

minibite
19 years ago

Presently, I'm close to finishing the MG course hear in Burlington County, and as a more responsible gardener at this point, I'm considering if I should pull a recently planted perennial from my beds, Aconitum napellus, or Monkshood. While ordering roses from a reputable mail order catalogue, the operator mentioned that these were on sale for half price, so after hearing how lovely they are and easy to grow, naturally I couldn't resist.

The lable clearly states that the plant is poisonous, and I thought, 'hmmm, that's interesting, the guy on the phone never mentioned that.' Unfortunately, AFTER planting them, and after doing a little web research, I learned that the ENTIRE plant is highly poisonous and has the potential to be fatal.

Armed with this info., and having kids and an indoor cat who likes to escape to the garden every once in a while, my initial reaction was to yank them up, call the company to chastise them for offering such a vile, though lovely, plant, and even threaten a home remedies medical site(which I'll still chastise). However, I read in a few threads here, that people are growing it with success, being fully aware of it's qualities, and one or two stated that kids and animals haven't bothered it. My children do not eat things from my garden unless I pick it for them and serve it up at the table, and the odds are we'll capture my cat within minutes after he escapes, but I certainly can't control the neighbors kids or other wandering animals.

As responsible MGs, please weigh in on this. Also, should I chastise the mail order company for selling this? One more point is that it's not an indigenous plant, as are many others, but it's something to think about I suppose. Thanks!

Here's the web site where I read most of the info:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/aconi007.html

Janine

Comments (29)