SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ic_conifers

Any tips for my maples?

ic_conifers
16 years ago

I am new to this forum and to maples. I already found the conifers forum and have been extremely impressed with the depth of knowledge on these message boards. I have a number of questions...

I purchased six maples in October 2007, mail-order, from a very highly rated growner in CA. They are:

Ariadne

Beni schichihenge

Emerald lace

Jerre Swartz

Murasaki kiyohime

Ukigumo

They were all 1-3 year grafts when I received them. I potted all and they have been living on my back unheated porch. The grower specifically told me not to bring them into the house over winter. The back porch stays about 10-15 degrees warmer than outside temperatures during winter. From what I understand, it is the wind more than the cold that does small trees in. I have a full-spectrum light in there and they receive sufficient natural light as well. Is there a way to tell in winter how they are doing? All have buds (don't know the maple term) on them and look good to me. Nothing looks brown and dried out. I did not overwater before we got really cold weather and they are in a well draining soil mix. Should I be doing anything else?

I did receive a copy of Vertrees' maple book for Christmas, so I have information on the little guys from in there, just wondering if anyone on this board has experience with them? I'm thinking of planting the Emerald Lace and Ukigumo in the ground this fall, after they develop more of a root ball (and provided I don't kill them before then). About half of what I found says the beni is zone 6, whereas I'm zone 5, so I'm not sure that will ever really be a year-round outdoor candidate.

How do maples do in hypertufa? I plan on making a few troughs this year and wonder if I could put the Jerre Swartz in one.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Comments (7)