SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willamette_gw

How Much Can One Person Grow?

willamette
14 years ago

Howdy all, this is my first post but I've been reading this forum for a while now. I've been doing urban tree work for 2-3 years now, but I want to move into farming. Nearly done with my AAS in Horticulture and I'm planning on doing a full-time organic farm apprenticeship for a year or two starting this spring. Horticulture is my second career, 36 years old, worked in education and editing previously.

I'd like to know what folks think is the maximum one person can do by themselves in terms of acreage. I plan on growing organic and intensively, but I also plan on using tractors and other machinery as much as possible as well as hoophouses and greenhouses. I'd like to minimize the amount of labor I have to hire (preferably none at all). I'd be interested in growing veggies, fruit, nuts, and/or nursery products.

Most of the lit I've read say that one person can only really intensively cultivate one acre of veggies, but not sure if that's hand or tractor cultivation. Is it possible for one person to make a living on one acre? I'm thinking I'd like to try the CSA model, but most sources say 20-30 shares is all you can get from an acre, and that isn't enough to pay the bills year round.

Guess I'm not getting how small-scale intensive organic farming is financially feasible. Any insights? I'd really like to do this full-time.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider