SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Ludi's Vacation Pt 1 - Hallson Gardens

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Hello again Hosta Family !

I have returned from my great botanical adventure, both the wiser and the poorer. :)

I couldn’t have asked for better weather. For all 5 days it was blue skies and sun. It was so nice since there was a lot of driving involved and we all know what driving long distances in the rain is like.

There were many stops made along the way, but the two of interest to all of you were Hallson Gardens and Hidden Lake Gardens. I will be creating a separate post later for Hidden Lake.

It was most unfortunate but I was not able to see Van and Shirley Wade’s collection. As much as I tried to make sure I budgeted enough time at each stop, by the end of it the backseat was already full and I still had a nine hour drive from Ohio to Philly, so I opted to visit them sometime in the future as I’m sure this is going to turn into a recurring trip. :p

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and warm wishes from my previous thread. I didn’t have much internet outside of hotels, but it was nice to read all of the lovely comments and suggestions while lying in bed with my tablet. :)

I have soooooo many pictures that it would be impractical to upload them all, but I will give you the best of what I did take.

First up is the lovely alkaline fen that is Hallson Gardens. The things that Chris and Brian have done with this humble 15 acres are truly a marvel to behold.

When you first pull in you are greeted with their display garden to your left with winding paths and whimsical garden ornaments. Next to the parking area is the nursery where they have three hoop houses and then more perennials under shade structures.

Then you can walk behind the nursery down a path to the hosta fields !!!

THIS was what I had come to see. It was overwhelming, the sheer number of hostas planted down there. The beds are sectioned off by year, so as you move through them you can see the progression. It was like a living time lapse !!! Very Cool. :)

But Hostas were not the only treasures down there. Part of the hillside leading up to the nursery was cleared and allowed full sun. This is where a lot of their sun tolerant perennials were propagated. I of course had to steer clear of these since the most sun I get is about 3 hours in the back. At the bottom of the hill is the grove of Black Walnut trees and that is where the hostas live.

I could go on for hours, let me not bore you with my words and tease you with some pictures ‘eh ?

Here are just some of the many cultivars from the display garden.

Then once you pull past that there is a parking area and the nursery.

Just off to the left is a path leading down to the fields.

And at the bottom of that hill is the land of milk and honey.

It was the most wonderful time. Chris and Brian were gracious hosts and God bless Chris he answered all of my thousand questions along with me tirelessly pointing to a row and asking “What are those ?”.

They were even kind enough to allow me to scoop up one of their new introductions a year before it goes in the catalog.

It is called Flamenco Mouse, so keep an eye out for it in 2014 if it tickles your fancy. :p

That was one of the coolest parts about the nursery was that you could go down into the fields and actually pick the plant you wanted straight from the ground.

And we all know that I did a bit of picking myself.

Here is a list of the ones I bought while up there.

Hi Ho Silver
American Sweetheart
Ripple Effect
Electrocution
Mourning Dove
Gone with the Wind
Gosan Sunproof
Lakeside Shoremaster
Blue Hawaii
Summer Lovin
Hanky Panky
Frosted Mouse Ears
London Fog
Silk Kimono

BUT, these are being mailed to me next week since the car was full of everything ELSE I fell in love with while there.

No joke, it was packed to the brim. You can’t see it real good from the pictures but I had plants tucked all the way into the middle under the black crates. Everything weathered the trip well so I was thankful for that.

I highly recommend if you ever get the chance or are in the area that you stop and check out the hosta heaven these two fine men have created out of a lonely hillside in Michigan. :)

Thanks for looking ! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Ludi

Comments (28)