SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

Rebuilding My Seedling Shelves/Lights - Suggestions?

yardenman
17 years ago

Years ago, I built seedling shelves with 1 fluorescent 2-tube 4' fixture over each shelf. The fixtures were attached to the shelf above, and the shelves were designed to adjust up and down. That never really worked.

The shelves were awkward to move because of the attached light fixtures, and the 2 daytime or grow-lux fluorescent tubes weren't enough light in the basement. My tomatoes always seemed too leggy, even when they grew right into the lights.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get enough light to the seedlings this year. I want healthy compact seedlings for a change! Some thoughts have occurred to me. I could put mirrors on the back to reflect the light (does sideways light confuse seedlings?). I could make wider shelves and add a 2nd 2 tube fixture. I could have an extended window bay installed and add the southern late Winter/Early Spring sunlight to the fluorescent lights.

I considered a mini outdoor greenhouse, but it is surprising how far falling tree limbs can travel in storms. I've even considered allowing house heat into a "cold" frame against the foundation (but I don't think there is enough sunlight in February and March).

Or maybe someone has some other idea...?

Comments (12)