SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryushiblade

Lucky Bamboo + Sand?

ryushiblade
14 years ago

Hi all!

About four months ago I bought a very large (15" stem) LB plant. It was cheap, but too tall, so I cut the stem in half and tried to root the top half and promote shoots in the bottom half. Neither worked! The bottom half never had even an inkling of shoots forming anywhere on the stem. So my first question is: How long does it take for offshoots to grow after cutting the stem?

But, most importantly, I'm wondering about my recent decision. After a week, the bottom half grew black and was overtaken by a fungal infection (the origins of which I have no idea). I cut the offshoot and successfully rooted it, without root hormones, in plain water. In the four months since then, it has grown a nice, strong root structure. I recently moved it from growing in a cup of water (suspended with rubberbands, no less) into a small jar filled with white sand and water.

Will the sand be harmful to this little LB? Will it promote faster growth compared to plain water? All I know for sure is it definitely gave the little thing a sense of stability!

Comments (16)

Sponsored