SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nursedoe

Desert Drama Lillies

nursedoe
15 years ago

This is my first year trying to garden. I live in the High Desert of Southern California. I got large assortment of mixed lillies oriental and asian and planted them in the area we cleared around the above ground pool. They did come up in the spring, flowered for a day or two and the rabbits ate every flower off one night. We had dug about 2 feet underground and put about 200 feet of 1/4 wire mesh as a fence to keep out gophers, but hadn't anticipated the evil bunnies. Next year, higher fence above ground.

The plants are turning yellow and brown right now, and the couple I have accidentally pulled up ( while weeding) seem to have a lot of small bulbs on the stem underground. Do I just leave them there?

Right now the problem is the horrible crabgrass. I spend hours pulling it up by the roots but it is back like a 1950's B horror movie the very next week! I want to buy some crabgrass killer, like Preen or Ortho weed and crabgrass killer, but I am afraid it will kill the lillies. Is there a safe product?

I have some sage plants in the garden that get drip irrigation directly to them, and I used the small sprinklers for the lillies. I am wondering if it is okay to stop watering them and see if that helps to kill the crab grass.

The soil is pretty sandy, but I did add about a ton about soil amendment mixed in and on top ( the top stuff always blows away). I did sprinkle bulb food twice. Is there anything else I should do to get healthier flowers next year?

Comments (3)