SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmac96

Pink lilies around 2' tall...suggestions?

tmac96
18 years ago

I am planning an island bed that will get full sun all day. I would like to include lilies of course. I am afraid to get ones that will be very tall though. Since the bed is an island, there is no protection from the house in terms of weather elements. We live towards the top of a gentle hill and sometimes it can be breezy; I'm afraid taller lilies will either need staking or may snap in a strong storm. (Am I right in thinking that?)

I plan to put 'First Love' Dianthus in front of the lilies to hide the later dying foliage and...well because I like it! Anyhow, the Dianthus grows to around 12-18" so I would like something that will be just above them. I've included a link that shows what they look like. The colors of the blooms change so there could be white, light pink and dark pink on the same plant. SO, I'm looking for lilies that will have those similar colors. I MAY also plant Moonbeam Coreopsis with the Dianthus, so lilies with some yellow would be nice too. Here are some ideas that I had. Please tell me if these will get too tall or are weak-stemmed:

-Lollipop (Asiatic)

-Tom Pouce (Oriental)

-Miss Birma (Oriental)

-Miss France (Oriental)

-Stargazer (Oriental)

I have experience with Stargazer and Lollipop. Both were short for me this year, but maybe that's just because it was their first year with me.(?) I thought about some other dwarfs like Mona Lisa but thought maybe that was too short. Any other lilies come to mind?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

BTW, anyone else have experience with First Love Dianthus?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of 'First Love' Dianthus

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals