SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

Growing Iris for 1st Show

lovelyiris
16 years ago

Ok, Now that I've joined the American Iris Society I need a bunch of growing and showing tips.

Most of you know I've never grown these for show. I've always grown them for my own enjoyment and very seldom even cut one to take into the house. With that said I need someone to step in here and give me a bunch of different tips.

I would like to take some of my irises to the show and do well with them. However I don't really know what the judges will and will not be looking for. I am clueless to this whole concept. So please enlighten me with any and all advice. I know that April is still a long time off but it will be here before we know it and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

These silly little things are still blooming here. I noticed two different ones that are not rebloomers open yesterday. Unfortunately we had a freeze last night, and it has been raining and in the upper 30's here all day. I'm sure it will probably freeze here again tonight.

Come on folks, this site needs to be rekindled and something discussed here. So give me those pointers so I can bring home a couple of ribbons. Shoot I don't even know how many irises you can show, or how you display them and so forth.

I want to know each persons personal experiences with these shows. Which are the most unusual or popular at the shows? How do you decide which ones to enter? Like I said I'm clueless to all the requirements and so forth. Enlighten me.

Happy Gardening, Marian

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County