SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eibren

Three Oriental Lilies Topped

eibren
9 years ago

These were my only three Oriental lilies, planted years ago, and this year there were six of them peeking out at once from behind a tall knotweed fleece-flower border. There were still numerous buds on at least one of the stems, so I was looking forward to enjoying them for at least another week or two.

I looked closely at the stems, and there was no indication of any bite marks--the stems were shredded as if something had simply yanked the end stem off with the lovely flowers. IMO it is unlikely that the stems were pulled to the ground by an animal to remove the flowers, as they were still upright and in the same position as when they still had flowers, and the lack of bite marks makes me suspect a large human did this.

This flower display was really the only thing that made my front flower hedge look nice. It is right next to the sidewalk, the flowers were at a height of almost four feet, and they were back too far for a young child to reach.

I am very angry about this. My only nice display of flowers has been destroyed, in such a way that the plants themselves might have been harmed. The stem condition indicates the flowers were simply yanked off in a barbarian act of destruction.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? How did you respond?

Comments (4)