SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tess_2008

joyful, joyful!

tess_2008
15 years ago

I have been living on an old homestead in rural IA now for about 3 years and been creating new flower beds for about that long. The only iris I have are ones that I have divided from a group that I can see the starts of in a pic from 1935.

To my utter joy, an elderly widowed man (80) I know has been cleaning up a huge garden that he and his deceased wife used to keep. He had actually been tossing iris away, until he remembered me. I visited him and he took me around and dug many of about 40 different varieties/colors for me. He could no longer remember the names - only the colors - and we had to put them all in one container larger than a big ice cooler - so the colors are now all mixed anyway.

I just wanted to share my joy with somebody over this wonderful gift. I did offer to come help tend his gardening for him next year in the event that he could no longer handle the massive undertaking alone, but he declined. I suppose I will need to bake him some goodies for all his thoughtfulness and trouble.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County