SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luigie822

My Indoor Setup

luigie822
16 years ago

After a few weeks of research and many years of toying with the idea of having an indoor light setup for my plants, I finally made the plunge! This forum was so helpful in my research that I thought it would only be fair to share my newest project. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Here's my setup: (click on the pictures to view a better quality image)

{{gwi:1029412}}

{{gwi:1029413}}

{{gwi:1029414}}

After reading numerous complaints about the Lights of America lights sold at Wal-mart, I made the mistake of purchasing these lights. Last weekend my husband and I worked for 5 hours to prepare this space. He installed electrical outlets for me, while I cleaned, organized and configured the lights. 5 hours later, I hung the lights and (da, da, da, da...) NEITHER worked! ONE out of the FOUR ballasts worked. I wasn't impressed and promptly returned these lights for a refund. I went to Mendards and purchased 2 shop lights for $15/ea (on sale from $20/ea), which was the same price as the Wal-mart lights. They work splendidly and are constructed of much better quality, too. Here's the brand I purchased:

{{gwi:1029415}}

As for the lights, I purchased GE Kitchen/Bath EcoLux 40W, T12s, SP30. They don't seem to give off too much heat, which is a concern. I also purchased a thermometer, which measures temperature and humidity levels and also records the min/max readings. Max: 71.6 F, 73% humidity. Min: 67.3 F, 64% humidity. Are these within the appropriate range for an indoor setup? Here's my thermometer and timer:

{{gwi:1029417}}

I only have the lights on for 12hrs/day because I don't want to "shock" the plants that haven't been getting more than 5hrs/day of natural sunlight. I don't have any South-facing windows I can use for plants and the East/West windows only receive about 4-5 hours of bright indirect sunlight per day. This was the motivating factor to do this indoor set up.

As for the table, I purchased a 30"x72" folding table from Wal-mart for $40. I LOVE it! It's sturdy and I have more than enough space to start seedlings before Spring. I lined the table with foil for proper reflection and then covered that with a long sheet of plastic for protection. Here's a close-up:

{{gwi:1029419}}

Here are some wider view pictures of the whole set up. I purchased a shelf kit from Menards for $25 to hold my accessories (pots, soils, etc.). I also cleaned an old baker's rack to hold miscellaneous tools and I had the garbage can was just lying around. All in all, I think my setup has some great potential!

{{gwi:1029420}}

{{gwi:1029422}}

Thanks for reading; I hope you enjoyed! Any comments and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated as I'm still a newbie to growing under lights.

Comments (7)