SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

ID asiatic vs. oriental lilies

minflick
17 years ago

I've looked online to find the differences between asiatic and oriental lilies, but I'm not finding it. How do you visually tell the difference between them without digging them up? I've had some bulbs for 4 years. I got them at the San Francisco Garden show on the last day, from a bin, for REALLY CHEAP. By the last day, things have gotten shuffled, and you never know just what you're getting. My oldest bulbs have plants up top that are close to 3 feet tall, with very sturdy central stems, and leaves all around. Rotating pairs? I have some other bulbs, (newer, and in a much smaller pot) where the flowers are the same (as far as my eyes can tell) but the leaf pairs don't rotate around the stem, they are all in the same orientation to the stem, so I have pairs of leaves one above the next, all the way up. One of the planter tags that came with one purchase says asiatic lilies. The others didn't come with any ID beyond a hand lettered sign on the bin I chose them from.

I really like them, and they appear to be happy, but I'd like to know what the heck I'm growing. It's time to dig them back up and repot the little ones with some more space (and share with some friends) and I don't know what to tell them I have! Silly and frustrating.

Comments (5)