SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Oriental, Trumpet, asiatic stem and leaf forms

I planted last fall a variety of types that are new to me:

some Orientals, some Trumpets: Casablanca, mixed orientals in pinks, Regale, Rubrum, and Stargazer. DH helped me plant and he moves so fast that now I don't know where each kind has been planted. I had mapped out certain areas for each height but that's all I know now. Once they bloom I will obviously figure out who's who but I'm still curious to know which one I am watching grow.

Up to this point I have only grown Asiatics. This bed is 3 years old. This will be the second season for the asiatics and I am seeing nice "heads" of buds on most, and a decent height. Last year they were so short I was really disappointed, but they had been planted in May, not the previous fall, so I was not too surprised..

Some of the stalks I see coming up have a different form than I am used to with the asiatics. Instead of a cluster at the top they have 1-3 buds coming off the sides near the top. Is this normal? Plus the leaves are growing on the sides, like a Jacob's Ladder, not ringing the stem.

I forgot that I have planted 2 more asiatics as well: Aphrodite, a double from Van Engelen (this looks too short too), plus "pixie lilies", whatever they are. These were from a post-bloom 50 cent pot that I couldn't resist. They are supposed to be dark red-orange. They were so pot-bound I could not have separated them without a saw. So I made a big hole and shoved the whole thing in. They are now a dense cluster of 6-8 stalks, but not too many buds. Cheap thrills!

Is there a way to tell the non-asiatics apart by the leaves? Plus, will they produce more buds in future years? Or are they going to make more buds along the stalks this year?

Comments (5)