SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon205587

Need to find resources on indoor HID growing!

jon205587
15 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting into indoor container gardening (soil), using a 400w HPS/MH Conversion bulb. I've got the light on a wood structure I built and its hanging about 18-20" above teh canopy with a fan on a shelf blowing over the bulb on high power for cooling out into my apartment. I also have mylar coating the walls of a 3'x4'closet grow area. The temps range from about 70 to 90 based on the ambient temp of the apartment with humidity in the range of 15-35% usually. I spray the plants a couple times a day with a hairspray bottle. For watering, I usually just stick my finger in the soil and if its dry about an inch down I'll water till it comes out the bottom.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books, internet forums, or other resources besides this specific forum for finding out info on this subject?

I'm trying to grow herbs like rosemary, oregano, basil (italian and purple varieties), parsley, chives, thyme, and mint. Also, I have pickling cucumbers, a couple habeneros, bell peppers, cayenne seedlings, some cacti seedlings, jalepeno seedlings (seeds are from store-bought peppers). I also have some various tropical cuttings such as elephant ear and purple passion than I've planted and am misting daily.

I'm not sure if all of these can grow together successfully (some are thriving while others are not) in the same area. I would also like some advice on fertilizers and soil mixtures (I've been using standard Miracle Grow stuff). I'm having some trouble with my peppers especially, with the new leaves being deformed with some holes in them (overwatering or nute deficientcy i think?). Also my habenero plant I bought from home depot turned a yellowish hue and is flowering and dropping with no fruit production. I think it may be from the drastic increase in light levels...

Any recommendations would be appreciated on my situation or on resources I could use (especially forums or books) would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find any except for this forum. Also, if anything jumped out at you please, please reply with any advice you may have, as I'm a complete beginner.

Please help me as I don't want to see all my plants fail!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living