SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tflinton

hps grow lights or led grow lights?

tflinton
15 years ago

Hi,

I've been growing with fluoro's for a while and i've had some great success, most of my smaller pepper plants (habanero, jalapeno, banana), herbs and onions, lettuce have done fine under them however my tomatoes, larger peppers and cucumbers are starting to grow out of the area I have available for them.

I've decided to go the HPS/LED route and see if I can get these guys growing better under these new lights. I need about a 3x3' (9 sq. foot) area for the system and i've debated buying a 400 watt HPS system for about a 100 bucks.

I looked into recommendations on the LED's and found some great experiments on www.greenpipelane.com but the one that seemed to have success, the pryocon 1000 is 600 dollars and you don't get the system for another 3 months!

I like the idea of LED's because of the heat control and lower wattage but i'm concerned about two things

1. What reputable manufactures and products should I buy?

2. Can a comparable LED grow light to an HPS 400 watt system be found for at least under 200 bucks?

3. Are LED's really as good as grow lights as HPS (albeit the greenpinelane site seems to demonstrate their abilities quite well).

Comments (9)