SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treemon2

Best Father's Day

treemon
14 years ago

I was unable to get away for either the Midwest or the National conventions this year. So I planned my own hosta tour and got the best Fathers Day gift ever. My 22 year old son, who so far has exhibited no interest in gardening, accompanied me to share the driving. On Wednesday we drove from Chicago to Van and Shirley WadeÂs Wade and GattonÂs Nursery at Bellville, OH. We spent more than six hours there and could easily have stayed even longer. The Wades reportedly have the largest collection of hostas in America, over 4,000 varieties. Their catalog is about 150 pages in length and the gardens must be seen to be appreciated. The hostas are closely planted in beds and on terraces surrounding the house and office. Others are displayed along the driveway leading up the slope to the house and further up the hillside beyond the driveway. Most plants are specimen-sized and in beautiful condition. There are many outstanding trees including beeches and conifers as well. Dozens of hoop houses at the nursery house many plants for sale, especially hostas. Van and Shirley were both present and greeted visitors. Van spent over half an hour driving us around the grounds on his golf cart. He pointed out highlights in the gardens and kept up a running commentary about hostas, hosta history and notable hosta people. His generosity with his time and willingness to share his knowledge was outstanding. Van showed us an assortment of plants he planned to bring to the convention in Lansing MI to donate for sale at the auction. It was a thrill to meet and spend time with a hosta legend. After we said our goodbyes it was on to the Cleveland area.

Thursday morning we visited with Peter and Jean Ruh and their daughter Janet at their Homestead Division hosta nursery in Chesterland OH. They have a large sloping heavily wooded property planted with over 1,000 hostas, companion plants and a number of unusual trees. The garden has many terraces and stone walls. Some beds are over 30 years old. The Ruhs are charter members of the American Hosta Society. The kousa dogwoods were just starting to bloom. At the back of the property Peter had a large area of seedling hostas under evaluation. Some of the plants were mature and quite striking. He has registered many plants of his own and for others. In conversation with Pete I learned he is a passionate proponent of registering all hostas that are to be distributed. The Ruhs were busy getting ready for a Sunday visit from Mark Zilis where they will sell hostas and Mark will discuss the Hostapedia. Nevertheless, the Ruhs took time to show us around and answer questions about their plants. Jean showed off Hosta SaraÂs Sensation that she had for sale. Peter was a font of information.

We also visited Bob Kuk at his home and KukÂs Forest Nursery at Brecksvill, OH. The front of the property looks like a very well landscaped suburban lot. A number of large beds with mature hostas and manicured lawn. It belies the size of the lot and the dramatic ravine with stream, pond and waterfalls at the rear of the lot. A beautiful setting for hostas. A number of breeding plants and lined out seedlings and small hostas were at the rear of the lot. Bob was also very generous with his time. He showed us around and answered all my questions about his hostas. He has registered quite a number of hostas. His catalog includes 39 of his own varieties for sale. Time went fast and we quickly had to get started back to Illinois.

For me, these visits reinforce what Ken has often said here. We need to get off the internet, put away the books and catalogs and get out and see hostas in person. I have many pictures and a few hostas I brought back from the trip. However, nothing tops the time spent with knowledgeable hosta people. And the time spent in gardens and just driving with my son was invaluable.

Mark

Comments (3)