SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botanybabe

I'm going out on a limb

botanybabe
15 years ago

Hello folk,

I'm going out on a limb here. Another discussion, after many posts, turned to the sex of hostas.

Ken posited that if the hosta has a man's name, it is a masculine and therefore should be called "him/he."

Another poster stated that since hosta flowers have both male and female reproductive parts they are both male and female.

I have a different theory. We're going to enter into the metaphysical realm here, so be forewarned. To me all plants seem to have a spiritual nature. That is they have an essential life force just as people do. When the life force is gone, the plant is dead.

Plants that are in my care often seem to have masculine or feminine traits, regardless of their names or the fact that they have complete flowers. This, in my experience, is when the gardener becomes in tune with the plant.

For example:

1. My Blue Mammoth hosta seems like a male to me. Sure, it's big, and bold and it refuses to let anything grow under it. But my Blue Umbrellas is even bigger and bolder and darker in color, yet feels like a female to me. Of course you can call it all hogwash, and perhaps it is, but I'm willing to bet several gardeners have experienced this same feeling.

2. I have two different Emerald Tiara plants. One seems male, and one seems female. Why? Because if you listen carefully the plant tells you about him/herself, not in words of course, but spirit-to-spirit.

So call me silly. You already know I can't see, can't tell numbers apart, and have my head in the clouds a lot of the time. But the world needs people with dreams and big ideas, just as much as it needs detail folk. And some of us dreaners see gender in plants.

Lainey

Comments (14)