SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botanybabe

Carpenter and other bees

botanybabe
15 years ago

On another thread a discussion of bees ensued with some not-so-accurate information.

This from the Kentucky Dept of Entomology:

"Male carpenter bees are quite aggressive, often hovering in front of people who are around the nests. The males are quite harmless, however, since they lack stingers. Female carpenter bees can inflict a painful sting but seldom will unless they are handled or molested."

In years before bees became scarce, I'd have carpenter bees, honey bees, halactid bees and bumble bees all congregating in the garden, gathering pollen and pollinating my crops. I often walked right through hundreds of them without a thought. I have never been stung. Bees are very much about "live and let live" unless you threaten them or get into their nests.

Unless you are allergic, you have nothing to fear from bees. Now wasps are a different story, but they are welcome in my garden too.

Last year I only saw two honey bees, and no bumble bees. I did see hundred of carpenter bees. This year, so far, I have seen no honey bees, not a single bumble bee, a handful of carpenter bees and a nice assortment of halactid bees (three sub-species, about 30 bees each). Each year the count gets fewer and fewer. I've had to pollinate my tomatoes with an electric toothbrush. It's not as easy as you might think.

I miss the days when hundreds of bees buzzed happily around my garden. I wonder what will happen when they are all gone?

Lainey

Comments (13)