SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michellek2

Problems with my grow lamp & seedlings

michellek2
19 years ago

Last year at a Science warehouse sale (I'm a Science teacher.), I bought 2 stands with grow bulbs already in them. The bulbs are Sylvania Gro-Lux wide Spectrum 40 watts. Because it was a warehouse sale, I didn't get any real information about how to set things up, etc.

I set them up in the corner of my living room on the floor and put seeds under them to get a jump start on things this year. Well, I started with cabbage, spinach, and tomatoes.

The spinach really only germinated and nothing else. The the Turger pressure isn't even right and they flop over. They have been under there for 4 weeks, and germinated within the first week. They are still seedlings and nothing more.

The cabbage germinated and put out one set of leaves and nothing more. They two are limp and even hanging over their little pots.

The tomatoes did better; although a little leggy, they have come up and put out 2 or 3 sets of leaves. BUT, one day on a warmer day, I took them out to get some "real" sun, (they looked pretty healthy) and the leaves turned almost white. It was like the "real sun" was bleaching them out.

I also transplanted some of these (tomatoes) into bigger pots and was dissapointed in the root structure wasn't as healthy as I wanted. Some of the transplants even had to have some of the leaves taken off so they could stand up after a day. Obviously, the plants didn't have the roots to survive the stress of the transplant, but I thought for sure as large as these guys were, they would be root bound soon. I did put some more kelp meal in the mix, but I don't really think that was the problem. It just seemed like too much plant for the root system.

OK. So what am I doing wrong here. The light is just 1-3 inches over the plants, the water is right, and the temperature in the house stays between 65-72 degrees. The light stays on at least 12 hours a day. I did add a little fan to help with the sturdiness of the stems, etc. This seemed to help some with the "legginess".

I read that I may need a Standard Gro-Lux bulb instead of the Wide Spectrum but I can't find anyone in town that sells the Sylvania Gro-Lux bulbs. Can I substitute another kind? What wattage, lumens, CR number (I think), and/or warm, cool, etc.? I get really confused when I try to go to the store and find a bulb I just read about on the internet; then I get there, and they don't carry it and have a whole section on other kinds with different attributes that I can't translate into what I am looking for.

Except for a few already established herbs, all of these plants will go outside. I also hope to use the grow lamps for cooler plants in the summer time to place in the garden for Fall.

I could experiment, but I really wanted a head start and I don't want to waste more time by getting the wrong thing again.

Thank you to all who can help me out!! I apologize for the loooong entry. :)

mknight2

PS. I don't know if this will make a difference, but I also want to do things organicly. I have allergic reactions to almost all synthetic and some natural chemicals.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES