SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
popepaul_gw

Anyone designed/built a tiered lightstand/Tomato growing shelves?

popepaul
19 years ago

I want to build a tomato growing stand that I can use in my garage to start 100-150 different tomato, pepper, and cucumber seeds under fluorescent shop lights. I do not want to purchase a growing stand as I think they are too expense for what you get and too nice to just keep in the garage.

My initial plan is to build a three shelf unit that is 24" deep, 48" wide, and 6" tall. I will grow plants on two shelves and use one shelf for storage. My propagation mat (22"x44") will fit a shelf along with four full size seed trays. I was planning on having four fluorescent shop lights per shelf. The uprights will be 2x4Âs, with 5/8" plywood shelves. I think it will be a lot heaver than I would like, but it should be sturdy and hard to knock over.

I was wondering if anyone had already designed something like this and if so, would you be willing to share your plan/design. If not, I will go with what I have drawn up. I like to hear and see otherÂs ideas, plans, and designs and not reinvent the wheel if there is something better.

Regards,

Paul

Comments (9)