SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Seven tube per shelf monster seed starting setup

californian
14 years ago

I just finished the first shelf of my five shelf seed starting setup. Southern California Edison is subsidizing the cost of 4 foot long fluorescent strip lights and I can buy them for $1.99 each. They don't come with a power cord so I bought ten power cords for $1.59 each plus $11 shipping at a discount power cord company. In Home Depot of Lowes power cords cost anywhere from six to eight dollars each. I bolted seven light strips onto two metal bars and hung the whole setup from the top shelf of the five shelf wire rack I am using. The shelves are 24 inches by 54 inches, so the top of the shelf is wall to wall light. The shelves are adjustable so I can change the spacing as the plants grow. Each fluorescent light strip has its own power cord so I can plug in just what I need for what is currently growing on the shelf. All seven plug into a seven outlet surge protector that has a switch of it. I covered the whole setup with one of these reflective space blankets to reflect light back onto the plants and keep the heat in. As I get into higher production I will add lights onto the remaining shelves.I bought 12 light fixtures but I am wondering if I should go buy 16 more while I can still get them cheap so I can have a 28 fluorescent tube growing rack. I am using Phillips Alto Plus 4 foot T8 daylight bulbs with a 6500K color temperature and a CRI of 85 and a life of 36,000 hours. They cost $24.99 plus tax for a box of 10 at Home Depot. The most expensive component is the heavy duty commercial wire rack that is 24 x 54 x 63 inches high. I got a good deal on it during a clearance sale, cost about $100. It has 5 inch ball bearing wheels on it so I can roll my whole setup outside on warm sunny days if I want to. It is supposed to be able to hold over half a ton load, and its is coated with green epoxy paint and guaranteed not to rust for 10 years (the Lowes chrome racks will rust in less than a year if exposed to constant moisture). I also had to buy maybe ten dollars worth of wire nuts, nuts, bolts, screws, and feedthroughs. All hardware is stainless steel.

Comments (5)