SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnc85

LED Grow Lights With Solar Panels More Effective Than The Sun?

cnc85
14 years ago

Ok I'm a complete newbie to growing with grow lights, and growing in general, but I have been doing quite a bit of research over the past few days on the merits of using LED lights to grow plants and the prospects of using solar panels to generate the electricity to use those grow lights which has highlighted some interesting results.

Firstly solar panels, from what I have gathered, a fairly standard solar panel setup produces around 1kwh/day/m2.

Secondly, from what I have gathered (or at least what LED light producers are claiming) these new LED grow lights are capable of providing sufficient light to facilitate good plant growth with as little as 10 watts per m2, which would imply that with 16 hours of grow light operation a day someone would be able to grow at least 6 m2 of plants for each m2 of solar panel!

Am I missing something or is it looking like in the future that we will be utilising sunlight via solar panels prior to delivering it more efficiently to plants via LEDs to facilitate multiple layers of growing on each square meter?

Obviously at the present time it's still not cost effective to do this given the massive capital costs for both solar panels and LED lights, nonetheless it is looking like both solar panels and LED lighting technology are both improving in quality and falling in price with each passing month.

So will this be the future? are people doing this now? thoughts?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting