SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sinfonian

Tight spot. Only 24 inch Lights work... Few Options. Need Advice.

sinfonian
16 years ago

After trying and failing at starting broccoli, cauliflower and onion seeds inside (they got too leggy stretching for our Pacific NW light), I've decided to try lights. Unfortunately, the only spot I can find in my house away from kids and cats is a 28 inch shelf. That leaves me to only using a 2 foot shop light. Home Depot only has one option that's not commercial and needs an electrician to install. It's a 20 watt T12 light with two bulbs. It looks like it's my only option and even that I have to rig up to be adjustable (maybe telephone books under the bins).

My dilema is the bulbs. I have read that one cool and one warm work just as well as expensive grow lights, but that didn't help much when I was in the store. My options for bulbs is as follows: (all are 20 watt T12 to work with the light fixture)

Phillips Natural Sunshine

Phillips Soft White Kitchen and Bath

Phillips Plant and Acquarium

Ott-Lite Natural Daylight for Plants (more expensive)

Ott-Lite Natural Daylight for Home and Office

Am I wasting my money to grow 8 each of broccoli and cauliflower and about 16 onions? Maybe even some lettuce, but nothing close to the thousands of plants I've read about here. It's one shelf, one fixture 2 feet long.

Thoughts? I'd like to set this up this weekend since I'm already late with the two sets I blew on the window sill.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's Mistakes in the Garden

Comments (2)