SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

How should I support these few pole limas?

anney
14 years ago

I nearly posted this question in the "Bean Tower / Tepee Question....." thread, but he wants specific information about how to secure tepee poles, and I'm not sure that's what I'll end up with and didn't want to hijack his thread.

Last year, the deer decimated my Willow Leaf pole limas and we did not get ANY of them. [Tangentially, those limas had the toughest stems of any pole bean I've ever seen. I literally could not pull them off the trellis after they'd dried -- had to cut them off.] This year I have 37 seeds left and didn't order any others.

But I want to grow these few limas so the two of us can have an occasional side dish of them.

I've carefully planned all my cattle panel trellis space for this year and don't have room to grow them. If I space them at four inches in a double row and they all germinate, that will take up six feet of row space! I have the space to grow them but will need supports of some kind.

What do you suggest that is cheap? I'll have until around the first of May to get it in place.

(And I've budgeted a Scarecrow motion-activated sprinkler to keep the deer away from the garden this year.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Scaring away pigeons

Comments (9)

Sponsored