SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

I think I've got the dreaded borer!

Carole Westgaard
14 years ago

I dug up about 300 irises today because they have been in one place for at least ten years. All beautiful Schrieners and most didn't bloom this year for the first time. Now I know why...as I dug I started to see rust-colored spots on some of the leaves - fairly low - and then some leaves had the rust marking on the edges with a hole or two. As I dug I noticed slime - rust-colored slime on the rhizomes. Not all, but most. I figure this is IT. I threw them away and now I'm not sure if the others have 'it' - they look slime-free and have no holes. Many of the rhizomes, however, do have what appear to be tiny holes but not fresh....like a root was coming out of there at one time. Is this 'it' even if there is no slime in the rhizome or brown spots? HOW DO I TREAT THIS? I actually saw one of the bastards...it was about 1/4 inch - I thought it was a root piece but it moved!!!! Yuuuuuuk. There must be something that will cure them, right? As I said I threw the worst away but don't want to take chances with the ones that are left.

Thanks for any enlightenment - I'm not good at Irises!

Westy

Comments (14)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County