SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caviler

White Dogwoods; I'd like mine to do better, and...

Caviler
10 years ago

Hello,

My First post, so hello all.

We had a big, mature White Dogwood that was crushed in Gustav and last Fall I planted another. It is alive, but hasn't grown an inch and it's leaves never look healthy. Brown patches and generally poor looking. I've applied two different 'medicines' to the leaves to no real effect - they did seem to get better, but still don't thrive (they were literally browning and dropping like mad, and the spraying stopped that, but the vibrant green is nowhere to be found).

I am in Baton Rouge right off Highland Road (if you're familiar with BR), on the highland that gives the road it's name and, as an ancient levee, the soil is mostly clay. Can't do anything about that, but what can I do. It's in full sun, which I now know is a no-no but in my defense in a few years two gingkoes and a eucalyptus will shade it. So, what can I do for it?

Secondly, we've decided to put in another dogwood. We've looked at species and favor another White. Anything I can do to give this one a better shot? It will, at least, have good partial shade from day one. We've other trees to be put in this year, but I'll put those in another post.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH