SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Please vote-which do you like better?

Lyban zone 4
13 years ago

This is for a nursery. Yes, it is for a baby girl but we are trying not to let that influence us.

Of the two choices here which are basically same patterns but one a blue/green theme and the other coral/green theme, which do you prefer.

Now before you all tell me it is a matter of which one we like, I know but just out of curiosity I want to know what you guys would all choose. I like one, my daughter likes the other. It will be her choice for sure.

Maybe I should say that in either choice the ceiling would be the green. the striped pattern on the window seat, maybe the flowered pattern will be on the covering of the glider. the other stuff for cushions. The roman shades will be an off white material. The window bench will be reverable with another pattern on other side.

We still have to find more solid colors to go with the blue theme.

Thanks for looking.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (44)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

The pink/coral group is my favorite. So fresh. Love it.

Best Wishes for the baby!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I like the one on the right. The one on the left is a color scheme for baby boys that I've seen pretty often.

• Related Discussions

Please Vote On Which Stone You Like Best - Pic.

Q

Comments (22)
    Thanks, trudymom. I miss the hill country--it's time for another trip to Brenham! Actually, I'm one of those that has to see the lot, etc. before making a decision. They are both beautiful and are perfect for the Texas style and should both work with the gray roof, so I think it's one of those decisions where you can't go wrong once you have it down to these two. One is obviously warmer than the other--the lighter (#1) is to me more intriguing, only because I've seen more of the warmer stone. It wasn't until we completed our home that I realized there wasn't necessarily a better or perfect choice! I hope to see photos of your completed home, and good luck.
    ...See More

Let's vote , which tile you like better .?

Q

Comments (2)
    If they both have striations, I would go with a glossy slightly off white subway tile (ceramic) in the same larger size. Calacatta is usually white, but it's not stark white; there's usually a slight off white and not in the gray direction. I still think you may end up with too many lines and textures with the two above. But that's just me. I think you're right to be leaning towards a solid. This post was edited by KevinMP on Sun, May 5, 13 at 13:15
    ...See More

Vote - Which layout do you like better?

Q

Comments (70)
    I'm not sure if I understand Bmore's suggestion either, but I'm okay with the oven location as long as you have identified where you would work when baking. I would center the doorway in the wall space between the ovens and the hutch though. I have my ovens turned at a doorway similar to that and have only 3-4" of wall on each side -- just enough to not have the oven handles sticking out into the opening and to allow the crown to turn the corners. I was thinking Malhgold might have come up with the same thought I had when I started reading that post, but my thougt was a different take. I was sondering about making the kitchen a galley with an open side towards the great room and instead of an island, create a hallway behing it with shallow storage -- kind of a shallow pantry and butler's pantry while takingthe traffic flow out of the work areas. I haven't drawn up anything, so I don't know if it works -- just a concept to throw out there.
    ...See More

Which name do you like better?

Q

Comments (46)
    Putting a "d" in it makes it sounds more like a country than a name to me. Marilyn, love your daughters name. There was a family I knew growing up that all the childrens middle names were the mother's maiden name. Both boys and girls. It helped that the mother had a decent maiden name, Vincent. I remember one of the daughter's names being Alice. I thought it was pretty cool. A tribute to Mom's former name without having to hyphenate anything. I still vote for Baen. It's a cool name but not off the wall.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Definitely the pink but I think you could use some aqua as accent colors.

• nutmegxo
    13 years ago

I LOVE the one on the right...the coral/green one!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, that is three quick replies, and all the same. My favorite is the coral and my daughter is leaning to the blue. What paint colors could go with the pink side if we wanted to stay away from the corals for walls, do you think.
    That is what is putting her off, not the fabrics as much as what to put on walls. The paint chips shown under fabric are too much the same and tiring all together I think.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

At first I was going to say a green, but with that much color in those fabulous fabrics, I would let the fabrics do the work of the color, and maybe consider painting the walls an ivory to balance it out. Too much stimulation might make the baby cranky!

If you can, look at the photos of Sarah Richardson's living room in Sarah's House. They chose coral/pink fabrics, but the reason they worked so well is that they don't overwhelm the space, the colors are a nice calm ivory. She also used a grass cloth on one of the walls to add texture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's living room

• User
    13 years ago

I vote the right side. I love the fabrics but not the paint chip colors. With your ceiling green and those wonderful fabrics, I think the walls should stay neutral, a nice cream color otherwise it is too much IMO.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I like the blue/green combo. It's very soothing which is nice for a baby's room. I'd like it better if one of the prints were a larger, bolder pattern, but the ones that you have chosen are very nice.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I think it depends on the lighting in the room....what direction is the exposure, how much light, where is the house located, etc. Hot climate, southern exposure, go with the one on the left. Cool climate, northern light, warm it up some with the coral. Howz that for a non-answer answer?! :-)

• bluestarrgallery
    13 years ago

the right; I might have chosen the one on the left, but when seen together the right really pops

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I love the coral side, but would also really like the turquoise side if you used the darker green loopy fabric with it that you now have with the coral side instead of the pale aqua that is shown. Don't know which green you are using on ceiling, but I like the dill pickle with the waterfall for walls. It would be a lovely baby's room.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beeskeeperswife: Thanks for that link. we love sarah richardson designs so that is encouraging to see..
    roseabbey: cream on the walls is an intereting idea.
    I will post photos again of this room but some of you have seen it before and are probaly getting bored with my nursery questions:
    We have decided to go ahead with the built-in window seat and bookcases on the backwall. 2 small bookcases on either side of window seat. there will be a roman shade on window in an off-white textured linen cotton fabric. Then I need to paint the whole built-in a color and then the other 2 walls a color. the fourth wall is all doors or closet door and not much wall. So if I chose the right hand side of fabrics would you do all 4 walls in the creams or just some of them or what???? Again maybe with the green ceiling.Then if I chose left hand side would you do the same cream or ivory? There will be a small crystal chandelier in place of the light you see in photo. The crib (natural wood color) will be about where the sofa is. The glider across from it angled abit in front of window. the change table to the left as you come in door.
    So what color for built-in wall, and would you use same color for other walls?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Bulkhead is staying but white cornice is coming down. Roman shade is starting just under bulkead.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

I would do all walls the same color. Ivory would be nice with the left side color scheme since there are yellow undertones in those colors, but cream would be best IMO for the right side. I would not do the cream or off white roman blind if you chose the cream or ivory for the walls, as it would blend in too much or it might have the wrong undertone. I would use one of the fabulous fabrics you have picked. With the walls being a neutral, it serves as a backdrop for all the fabulous other colors in the room. What a beautiful baby's room it is going to be!

• aleighjc
    13 years ago

I like both! I would probably have to flip a coin to decide if it was me.

• tergar
    13 years ago

I like the coral/green combo. Is it the darker green you are putting on the ceiling? If so how about the lighter green on the walls or vice versa.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Olychick: That is a good idea to bring the green loopy fabric to the left side. The greens are not identical, would that matter.I also like that dill pickle paint for the ceiling.

Roseabby, the ivorys for the left side choice and cream for the right side choice sounds good but I really think I would like to keep the shade in the neutral because with the cost of material and having it made , I would hope it will last for many years and we might change out all kinds of other things in room by then. Maybe there is anoother solution of the neutral roman shade, bolder color for the wood built-ins and then cream on other walls.
    You see why we need help we are very undecided. By the way the fabric for the shade has a tone on tone embroidered flowers on it.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Coral side! It's fresh and girly. No, it doesn't have to be girly, but "why not?" with such a lovely color scheme? The green is "blah" to me. :)

• User
    13 years ago

If the roman shade fabric is already chosen, which color pallete does it go best with? I would base my decision on the rest of the colors of the room based on that fabric. It may be a neutral but does it have a specific undertone to it...yellow, grey, pink, blue?

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

The coral and green has a bit more POP.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

I like the coral one. It grabs my eye first.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am not sure of the undertones in the roman shades fabric. I am not very good at seeing that. If I go to my daughters tomorrow I will get a sample and post it.
    I know when I put the sample next to paint chips the BM white down seemed to be the closest, if that tells you anything.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I totally agree with Amy's response regarding the lighting in the room. Either way I would not paint the walls coral. My DD has coral/orange walls (her choice, she is 15). Not only does it make the oak floor like hideous, but the room looks hot all the time--esp. in July. As an aside, studies show babies are particularly drawn to bright colors and black & white constrast and stare at those colors the longest. Still most of us (parents) prefer pastels as I did as well when my babies were little.

• lilsophie
    13 years ago

I like the Coral. And do the walls in a beautiful green, that matches the fabric.

• kayec28
    13 years ago

If I were judging only by the paint chips I totally would have gone with the aqua and green color scheme. But... when I look at the actual fabrics and materials chosen, it's not even close. The coral color scheme is so much more prettier and vibrant. The blue and green fabrics are kind of underwhelming.

As for wall color, if you decide not to go with coral or green, you might consider Atrium White, which has a pink undertone that would coordinate with your fabrics but let them be the star.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Like pretty much everyone else I like the one on the right. But, only because the palette on the left lacks the "punch" that the one on the right has. I would definately go with a color on the walls. That middle green looks fabulous, and put a soft color on the ceiling, maybe one of the rosy ones.
    All the woodwork I would do in the soft, creamy white and choose a fabric for a window treatment that would compliment your shade and work w/the cushion.
    I have a picture of a similar color scheme. This room started out as a nursery and with a few updates, turned into a pre-teen room. The window treatments, furniture (sans crib) and chandelier have been there since day one.

The only thing I would do differently here is put a color on the ceiling and add crown moulding. But even some of the furniture pieces and accessories were painted to coordinate with the fabrics.
    I say have some fun when decorating a nursery, and you really have a great space!

• lisa71195
    13 years ago

DEFINITELY the pink/coral/green - enjoy your baby girl!!

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

The Coral one gets my vote. While you can't go wrong with either, the Coral one is more festive and fun as opposed to the calming effect of the Blue combo. The coral combo has six patterns making it look deliberately chosen and more personal, rather than looking like a 'set' purchased, like the Blue one does.

Definitely use Cream or Wheat walls to let the prints be the star. Coral walls would dilute the impact of the prints.

One thing to consider is how the room will look once the toys, books and baby gear comes into the room. The coral one can take the introduction, but the pale Blue calming room might look messy with brightly colored kids gear.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I love the coral combo, but I would use an antique white on the walls and use the coral accent on the back of the built-ins. The same can be said if you choose the blue scheme. Add a deeper color to the back of the built-ins. How fun!

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I like the coral the best but the other is fine, too. Like you said, it's your daughter's baby and her choice.

• donaldsg
    13 years ago

I'm going to push for the blue-green combo. Both are nice colour schemes, but why must we always give girls pink! I had a girl first but still painted the nursery blue (and her next room green). Now her brother is in the nursery: it did double duty and I didn't have to repaint it. Her green room does now have pink accents but only because she asked for them:-)

I love that soft turquoise colour and think it works for a girl or a boy. In fact I often dress my daughter in that colour because it goes well with her fair colouring (even though she would have everything pink!).

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

I really love the turquoise color combination. The coral is predictable for a girl. Initially the coral display grabbed my attention moreso because of the way it was arranged, not the colors. On the coral you had one larger focal color whereas on the turquoise everything was similar shaped. I modified your picture from the original to show what I mean.
    Your Original
    {{!gwi}}

Modified with a turquoise focal color
    {{!gwi}}

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hilltop, thanks for re-arranging the photo. I
    am trying to be fair to both sides so today I added a few more solid fabrics to the mix on left probably just for cushions on the window seat. I tried to find that darker turquise but could not find anything. I am also posting a photo of my fabric that both of us love for the roman shade. I beleive it was Roseabbey who asked for the undertones. I cannot tell but like I mentioned it is a perfect match with BM white down paint chip.
    In the side by side photo I also added the green loopy fabric from the right that Olychick suggested.
    KMCG: Love the idea of putting the predominant color on back of bookcases.
    You guys are great giving us so many ideas.
    Here are two new photos so keep the ideas and preferences coming.

Roman Shade Fabric
    {{!gwi}}

New side by side photo
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

Now that I see the roman shade fabric, I change my vote from the coral to the blue side, I think the fabric looks better with the colors on the left. I think though the blue side needs a pop of color still, I would add another fabric to the mix, something that has a lot of the yellow of the dots.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

roseabbey,

I wish I could understand what you see in that fabric that makes you say it goes better with the blue side.

I am afraid that is a talent which I do not possess becasue I cannot see anything that would tell me that.
    Is there an undertone you see?
    I have always had trouble with colors and seeing undertones. Please tell me what you see.
    Thanks

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe someone else out there can see the undertones in the roman shade sample and explain them to me.
    Thanks

• User
    13 years ago

On my monitor, could be different IRL, the fabric has a yellow undertone to it. Perhaps if you put the fabric against a PURE white background, you would see the undertone. This doesnt mean the fabric doesnt go with the coral but my personal preference would be the blue side now.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

I like the color group on the left...more restful. And it WILL go better with the roman shade...assuming my monitor is correct.

I also think it will "age" better...Heck, I'D be happy with those colors and I'm an adult.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK. now I am being a realy PITA but I thought of posting one more photo with the Roman shade material right on top of fabrics on either side.
    Does this make any difference?

{{!gwi}}

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Which color scheme did you say your daughter liked better?

• User
    13 years ago

definately looks better with the blues, JMHO.

• jen2006
    13 years ago

I like them both, but would prob. pick the coral. Reds and green are opposites on the color wheel, which means they compliment and bring out the best in each other.

• tfm1134
    13 years ago

well I have to go with the corals since I have a 6yr old and if there is not some kind of pink in there she would freak out and wouldn't have anything to do with it. (personally I LOVE the greens and blues) which is what we had in her nursery but she turned 3 and her brain turned to pink and pink only which meant we had to turn around and redo her room.. Lesson learned

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

Did you decide on a color yet? Just came across this at JCPenney (Ala Mode wall art) and thought of you because the colors and style blend so well with your choices. It's on sale for 11.99.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney Ala Mode wall art

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hilltop,

I just now saw your post, thanks for thinking of us.
    No the decision has not been made yet, but if we go to the corals we might just have a look at that art. So cute...
    Thanks