SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_beth_gw

Why wait six weeks with transplanting iris?

anna_beth
18 years ago

I planted some bearded irises 1 or 2 years ago that I had purchased without knowing what their colours would be (they were mislabeled and not any fancy varieties). Some of them are blooming now so I learned the colour and also that I need to move them because the colour does not look right where they are planted. E.g. dark reds and violets in the far away half-shaded beds are not visible at all so I want to move them closer to the entrance of the garden so that I do not have to go out and look for them to admire their flowers.

I usually have little time to garden in August, so I would like to move them now - right after they are finished blooming. There is a lot of rain this spring and I am also willing to water them throughout July.

I am not sure what the six-week waiting period after flowering is meant to accomplish? Will I weaken my plants if just dig them out now?

And, should I cut off the flower stalk while transplanting? I thought the flower stalk should be left on the plant because the growing rhizomes feed on it but maybe I am completely wrong?

Thank you for your advice.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES