SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taffyj_gw

Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?

taffyj
15 years ago

Hi!

I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning when I saw a purple dragonfly whiz by. I was so surprised I thought I had seen wrong. I have blue ones and green ones, but I didn't even know purple ones existed! I watched it for a while and got the camera and took some pictures when it landed. That was hard to do, because it is very active, and I had to be patient while I was excited.

After a while, I saw it hitched up with another dragonfly, flying over the pond. The female was more of a yellow-brownish color. So, not only did I see it, it was mating! I so hope we get babies!

I looked it up on the internet and found out it is 'Libellula jesseana', and native to Florida, where it is becoming rare and is on the threatened species list. So, what's it doing in central Louisiana? Is there anything I should do other than observe and enjoy?

Please, if there's anyone else who has seen a purple dragonfly, let me know. I'd love to know what it was near, and what the conditions were, like was it alone, or were there many? Was it near a city road ditch, or a stream in a forest.

The info I found on the 'net said it was threatened because it is highly sensitive to pollution. I'm all organic in the backyard, so maybe that's why its hanging around. Thanks for any responses.

Bridget in Alexandria, LA

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio