SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mycologist_gw

New to gardening, some questions

mycologist
14 years ago

Hi all, I'm pretty new to horticulture, only having grown a few vegetables in containers over the past 6 months (to varying degrees of success). I'm moving in to a new home with a modest back yard (~700-1000 sq ft.), half of which is covered by a wooden deck. I'd like to go all out and cover everything I can with vegetation, both edible and decorative. I'm in zone 8b, and the back of the house faces ESE; 15ish feet away is a 12' fence which surrounds the rest of the yard. I have a 4' tall lime tree (more like a bush) right in the middle, and a few banana plants off in the SE corner, one of which is easily 15' tall.

Obviously I have a bit of shade; about half the yard is in part shade to part sun, the other half gets part to full sun. I'm looking for suggestions on a few things:

1. Just general plant info: what would you recommend given the above, and do you have any pointers on specific plants?

2. Soil. It doesn't look great back there, as it's in a residential area. I'd like to spend as little money as possible amending the soil, but I know something needs to be done. I have access to unlimited amounts of horse manure, perhaps goat and chicken as well, but I know that's not enough. I have perlite that I can add. Bulk soil for cheap? How is my money best spent?

3. Compost. It would solve some of my soil problems, but I don't have much room and figure the smell would be annoying to say the least (we plan to spend a lot of time outside). Anything I don't know here?

That's all I've got (for now). Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks for any help!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus