SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

I'm confused about winter protection

cateyanne
15 years ago

I've been reading and reading about hydrangeas and what everyone does or doesn't do, to this or that variety to protect from winter weather. I'm getting more confused as I read, there seem to be so many options.

I have never protected my hydrangeas before, but I did lose two of them and would like to try it to perhaps protect the new ones I bought, as well as the ones that have survived in the past.

I only have Endless Summers and a new one that is a climber.

I have read Endless Summer does not need protection, though some say it does. and I have lost a couple so I'd say it probably does, but how exactly are they to be wrapped?

Do I cut down first? then do I use a wire cage or wood stakes as a frame? Next step is to wrap in burlap or some other material? and then fill up to the top with leaves? Do you put burlap on the top or let the snow fill in?

Can I just use the maple leaves that fell from the neighbors tree? do the leaves need to be dry?

Should I try to protect my climber? this is it's first year. How would I wrap a climber?

Or does everybody just wing it to see what works for them? I'd like to do it right the first time.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give advice.

Comments (4)