SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
towsonite

Wrong season, but ?'s about protecting azaleas during winter

towsonite
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

First, I only buy plants proper for my zone and try to go down, at minimum, to Zone 6a, despite being 7a. Our past couple winters have been particularly harsh for Maryland so this may be coloring perceived need for extra protection. I do have a lot of Encore azaleas, which I partly blame (right or wrong) for some of the winter damage. I've read on other posts about people using burlap wind barriers and shading during the winter for azaleas, which lead me to the below questions.

• Wind Barriers. I understand the burlap should not be in contact with the plant. But should barriers be around every plant, or can you get a decent amount of protection by just reducing the wind in the general area? For instance, I was thinking about using burlap to make a wall that's 4 to 6 feet in length (3 feet high) extending from the corner of the house to stop wind from whipping through the bed and around the house's corner. This bed is loaded with new azaleas and that's the only reason I was considering the above. I will mulch them well as usual.
  • Winter Sun. I learned for the first time in other posts that
    winter sun can be harmful to azaleas and I wonder whether it is the
    cause of some of my past winter damage. But is it really something
    worth worrying about in all areas of the country or just some? I
    suppose, I'm still have trouble grasping what harm winter sun does and
    what the damage looks like and how much winter sun is too much. Any information on this is appreciated. I have never seen anyone in our area cover up their azaleas, so I'm a little skeptical about the need at least in my area.

Thanks for any information or thoughts on the above.

Comments (3)

Sponsored