SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

Please describe 'shellies' and 'fresh peas' vs. 'dry'

bigoledude
15 years ago

I have gardened for many years. The only peas I ever grew were Sugar Snaps. Me and my (very large) neighbor ate every crop right off of the vines. Never cooked one pod or one pea!

My wife purchased some frozen edamame pods for me and, they were fabulous (microwaved). I'm guessing these are more like shellies and fresh peas. I know that the term "shellies" is used primarily when refferring to snap beans.

Having read through searches on "pole beans, peas and southern peas" I am a little confused.

Allow me to guess; Please correct me where I am wrong.

Shellies are beans that are shelled while not having yet matured into a hard bean. Are they sorta like the "Edamame" I mentioned above? Are they harder? Are they more like "green-peas" in texture?

Southern Peas; "Fresh peas" are sorta like, say, soft black-eye peas right? Are these anything like the Edamame? Of course "dry" peas are hard like the black-eyes or crowders we buy in the super market.

It may sound nutty but, I don't have any other examples to use as a reference other than canned or frozen "green-peas", edamame, and dry beans and peas. If ya'll can describe "shellies" and "fresh peas" better, please do. I am planting them soon and would like to know what to expect.

Comments (2)

Sponsored