SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

Preparing Rooted Cuttings and Small Plants for Winter

ejr2005
12 years ago

I have some rooted cuttings that I was going to plant in somewhat bigger pots now that they have 1" roots. Not sure what soil to put them in, or what to do with them over the winter. I also have two young Masjas (12"-14" tall) and a baby Little Honey oakleaf (6" tall) that will need protection over the winter.

From what I've read I see a few possibilities for the winter:

- Keep them in my unheated garage (or crawl space under the house) and water occasionally.

- Sink the pots into the ground and cover with light mulch.

- Put pots next to the house foundation and cover with large clay pots.

I was going to plant them in potting soil but the soil I have has fertilizer in it - don't think I want them getting fertilized now. I have an assortment of other media including a compost and peat mix, topsoil, perlite, vermiculite, and sand. I've read that you should put potted plants in potting soil rather than outdoor soil so not sure what to do.

I'm in Zone 6a. Last year I started my hydrangea obsession with endless summer, blushing bride, purple tiers, forever and ever together, let's dance starlight, let's dance moonlight, blue bird, blue billow, red sensation. and twist and shout. I covered all of these in fabric bags stuffed with oak leaves. They all did well and had lots of blooms this year (the Bluebird died mostly to the ground but grew back with tons of buds from the bottom). We did have a lot of snow cover last winter.

I'd love to get advice on what to do. The most pressing question is what media to pot my rooted cuttings in.

I'm a bit nervous about keeping outdoor plants indoors - I've killed Brugmansia by keeping them in the crawl space. However hostas have survived well in the garage - even when I forgot about them for a few months!

Comments (4)