SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peoniesaremyfave

Hydrangea Macrophylla Blooms

peoniesaremyfave
18 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I know this is the place to ask this very question.

My mother gave me her a Hydrangea Macrophylla last fall, she didn't remember what variety it was and it's been so long since I saw any blooms on it, I didn't remember either. I think it had white mopheads for flowers.

Anyway, she gave it to me because the poor thing hasn't bloomed in about five years. I asked her if she been protecting it during the winter (zone 5/Massachusetts). Of course she told me no she hasn't been. So she was going to have it removed and brought to the landfill in her town. The horror! I told her to give it to me, which she gladly did.

Early last fall, my husband carefully dug it up and we gave it a nice home in my yard. It is in an area with light shade and a little filtered sunlight. After a couple of weeks of getting established, I gently wrapped the poor thing up with burlap and filled the whole bundle with leaves for protection. I do this with all of my hydrangeas. Spring came and around the beginning of May I carefully unwrapped the hydrangea. Well all season long it had awesome foliage but without any flowers. It's getting to be about that time again to wrap it again. Can anyone help me? Will it ever flower again? Should I overwinter it differently? I live in Zone 5b NH and I have successfully protected my Nikko's, ES, climbers, all of them, just not this one. Everyone, nurseries and even my Grandmother has a different opion, but good old GW has never steered me wrong.

Thanks! Wendi

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor