SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

hydrangea Newbie, Lots of Problems and Questions

wanttogarden
16 years ago

First of all Thanks in advance.

I live in California bay area. Last year I planted 2 hydrangeas and this year I bought 4 more that are still in 3 gal containers. I bought them all from Costco in full bloom. They are the regular big-leaf variety. I think one from last year is the kind that blooms on old wood since I do not get more than on flower cluster on it a year and no buds on new growth. Rest flower an new growth.

The problem with last years plants that are actually in ground:

Last year they were in very hot and sunny area which caused the soil to dry and thus leaves to burn and flowers to wilt. This spring, I planted them in light shade/shady area.

1) Although there is no problem with leaf fungus or burns, stems are very weak and all my flowers end up on the ground leaving a ugly twiggy area in the middle of the plant visible. I ended up cutting all the flowers to let the plant get bushier and stronger. I don't think it helped much.

2) By end of the day, although the soil is still moist, all the leaves and flowers wilt. After watering they plump up but this process is stressing the plants to the point that leaves are getting lighter in color.

Problem with the new ones:

I do not have the wilting problem with them much, unless I forget to water for 4 or days.

They all got some leaf problems, fungus I think. They lost they leaves and now sprouting new ones. Two are in half shade half sun and the other two are in shadier place.

3) The first two are growing and flowering more but the leaf thingies still infects the new leaves too. Second or third set of leaves are smaller than originals.

4) The shadier ones have lost all the foliage due to disease and are taking their time growing the new leaves. Of course no leaf no flower.

5) Are these bad plants? Should I get better ones from a good nursery? (Although I was looking in on of the nurseries and their hydrangeas were all brown without any sign of new leaf) Are they this hard to grow? Any better variety? My yard is mostly shady and I need to have some attractive bush that can grow in shade.

Please advice. Thank you.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting