SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_magnolia_gw

New gardner w/lots of hydrangeas. How do I care for them?

sugar_magnolia
18 years ago

Hi all -- There is much good information here. I've got many different hydrangea varieites. I'd have to go back and look at all the tags to give you an accurate report but I'll do my best from memory. The tags are downstairs, I am upstairs in bed. Anyway, the problem is that they won't flower. What to do???

There are several macrophylla, paniculata, nikko blue, oakleaf, lady in red, mopheads, climbing hydrangea... probably others I am leaving out. Let's see, one climbing hydrangea had much new growth but no flowers... nothing dead, plant looks great, just no flowers. Another climber showeed slow growth and no flowers. A third climber was moved this Spring and is in shock; it is withering and I hope it survives. I need to move one of the other two climbers this season.

Three of the four nikkos died. The one that survived looked like a few sticks in the ground although it was a big beautiful plant when I put it in:-( I cut it back in the spring and it grew leaves but often looks wilted/droopy... no flowers

Lady in red and five mopheads are new in my garden this year. Damn!!! I've already cut the dead flowers off three of them.

Macrophylla... or is it panniculata... one just bloomed a couple of flowers in the last week or two. The others didn't bloom and look pretty wilted.

I cut what seemed to be dead wood in the Spring -- the stuff was pretty dry so I am fairly confident it was dead. And some of it was definately white but I can't recall if all of it was. Some plants just leafed out from what was left after I cut them back but there is a wee bit of new growth at the base on a few.

Most of the hydrangeas that are wilted or scrawney are in deep shade under a huge Maple. I wonder if it's too much shade or if the Maple is sucking all the nutrients from the soil or if they aren't getting enough water. It seems when I saturate them they pick up -- but still no flowers.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting