SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamblingbear

Help - what are these plants and how do I care for them?

gamblingbear
9 years ago

Hi

I rescued two big pots of plants from my office, where they had been neglected for years. They were going to be thrown out during a move.

So now I have two HUGE pots in my living room. One pot has three different kinds of plants in it,the other has 2 of the same plants. They are in relatively good shape for being neglected for years, but do need some help. Each pot had a dead plant in it that I removed and a lot of the leaves have brown spots or are misshaped. The growth is all on one side as well since they were never rotated.

They are planted in what seems to be round lava stones. There is absolutely no soil in these pots and no drainage holes in the pot. One pot has a little marker that says when water should be added, but the other pot seems to be missing this.

My questions:
Does anyone know what these plants are?
What kind of light do they need/prefer?
Are they okay in this lava rock medium and no drainage holes, or should I repot them in potting soil?
If I leave them in the rocks, do they need some kind of special fertilizer since they aren't getting soil nutrients? Do I add it to the water? I assume the little sticks wouldn't work.

I don't know how to post photos here so here's a link to some photos of the plants:
https://db.tt/66WPHHUH

Thank you.

This post was edited by gamblingbear on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 1:59

Comments (28)