SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchids41

E.S. in Cen/Fl

orchids41
18 years ago

Are there any perks to growing E.S. in an area where the chance of flower buds being frozen is practically nil? Wouldn't any mop head grow and bloom here as well as E.S.? My N.B.'s are still producing flowers, although not as frantically as they did early in the summer. judy

Comments (11)

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Judy,

Is this your first season for hydrangeas? I'm asking mainly about macrophyllas. I ask this because I was wondering if you had them planted last winter when we dipped down into the 30s and if you did, did you protect them from the frost/freezes?.....yg

• orchids41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

YG, I planted 30 macrophyllas last August. Most were in 1 gallon pots. They grew like crazy and I didn't do a thing to them over the winter. Of course, we didn't have a freeze here in Sanford. They bloomed their mopheads off in May and June. They're big, bushy plants now and show no signs of slowing down. judy

• Related Discussions

Some late blooms

Q

Comments (33)
    Hello Izar! I am so pleased to hear from you and to see your seedlings from the seeds that I gave you blooming!! What a treat!! I must say that this looks almost Identical to the parent which was my EBay # 1. I will go through my pictures later and post a few that are identical to yours! I wonder if all your seeds will be identical to the parent? Now I must ask if this was fragrant because the parent was particularly fragrant especially after the flowers have been out for a few days. I don't think that I kept any of these seeds as I have several of these bulbs. Donnaâºâºâº P.S. I just reread this entire thread and I guess I did have a few of these seedlings. I will have to go and hunt for them. They must still be pretty small because I have no recollection of them! This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 18:08
    ...See More

Moving a Big Brug

Q

Comments (3)
    Judy, the more you cut it the more stalks/stems you will get when you start cutting on them. You will need to also keep clipping them to keep them in the shape you desire. You would need to determine the shape you want. Just do not cut below the first 'Y.' Yes a photo would help.
    ...See More

He Meant Well thread

Q

Comments (2)
    I had a couple of pink flamingos in my yard for awhile. I named them 'Tongue' and 'Cheek'. They finally died. I think of,embarrassment.
    ...See More

OMG! What a surprise

Q

Comments (9)
    I have had indigos for about ten days or so now...two males and a female. They show up off and on throughout the day, but can really be counted on to make a last feeding at just before dusk...say between 6:00 and 7:00 each night. They will eat just about any seed, but are especially fond of the black oiler sunflower seeds that you mentioned. And I finally bit the bullet last week and bought the more expensive seed with no shells and hulls...this bag was sunflower chips and hearts. It's GREAT. No mess under the feeder at all. Anything that falls to the ground is immediately eaten by doves and squirrels, and it won't sprout. The buntings love it, too. This week I have had mourning doves, white-winged doves (I just love them), cardinals, bluejays, tufted titmice, red-bellied woodpecker, chipping sparrows and indigo buntings at the feeder. The chipping sparrows and indigoes will soon be gone. They are just passing through. Last year, I also had a painted buting, a blue grosbeak (one day only), and a rose-breasted grosbeak that only went to the birdbath. The indigoes are just the most brilliant shade of blue when the sun hits their feathers...fantastic to watch!! Congrats! Marcia
    ...See More
  • yellowgirl
    18 years ago

The reason I ask is because you stated "the chances of flower buds being frozen are practically nil" and this is not exactly true.

One of the reasons you don't see many folks growing hydrangeas down here is because they assume the same thing as you stated and when they don't get flowers the following season they give up and call them 'not reliable bloomers here'. They don't realize that next seasons blooms are set this summer/fall. Ever here people complain about their Azaleas being unreliable bloomers? It's pretty much for the same reasons. a) They instinctively try to prune them in fall or spring and b) Because we are in zone 9, our hydrangea buds don't necessarily harden or go fully dormant the way they do up north, so people will cover their tender tropicals but leave the tender hydrangea and azalea buds to get nipped by the frost.

Remember, what kills the buds most is a sudden change of temperature, not necessarily just the level of temperature. Therefore if we are going along at 70 to 80 degrees in December (not only are the buds tender but I still have some blooms on the plants then) and then all of a sudden the temp drops to 32 degrees and then back up in the daytime to 70 again, this can kill some or all of the buds. This is why they grow best in maritime conditions like Cape Cod were the temps surely get cold but they don't fluctuate so radically. When the weather report calls for frost or freeze I cover mine. I invest too much time and sweat in them to take the chance. Although because our season is so long, and new buds are developing all the time, you might still get late season blooms if they happened to get nipped.

Which brings me to the ES topic. I, for one, don't think ES is an exceptional plant in any way except for it's ability to give northern gardeners a chance to enjoy a blue/pink mophead, so I generally recommend that people in more ideal zones (7 - 9) spend less money on more interesting and unique cultivars. Having said that, I saw them at Lukas Nursery and picked up a couple, more as an experiment than anything else. (all the hype and curiosity got the better of me) I don't think we will get better performance than we do from the Nikkos (how could we?) but maybe about the same or possibly worse. I read somewhere that they did not do well in the southeast. Time will tell. So far this year my Nikkos continue to bloom, some of my other cultivars are getting ready to bloom again (new stem buds are opening like crazy, last year I had a great re-bloom in October) but my ES are doing NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, no signs of a single flower bud yet. I was hoping they would be some kind of evergreen year round bloomer for us down here and prove me wrong!! It's still too soon to tell for sure so I'll let you know how they progress.....yg

• orchids41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm. Sounds like I had "beginners' luck", YG. I've spent the last 40 years gardening in South Florida, so, no doubt, I have a lot to learn about gardening in Zone 9, rather than Zone 10. My obsession for the past 18 years has been orchids, and I don't bring them in or cover them unless a freeze is predicted. (The phalaenopsis, dendrobiums and vandaceous orchids, which are all very cold sensitive, *do* come in when the temperature goes down in the 50*'s, however. Cattleyas can take a little frost unless they're in bud or flowering.)//My "Hydrangea Guru" has been my neice in Upstate SC, where I grew up. She has a yard full of mopheads and Annabelles, and she doesn't do anything to protect hers over the winter and they bloom like crazy. Of course, hers don't leaf out as early as ours do down here, but they do bloom about the same time. I guess the folks up there haven't read that hydrangeas don't do well in the southeast. They do *very* well there. Theoretically, the bumblebee isn't supposed to be able to fly, either. :-> I suspect people in the Blue Ridge have problems with buds getting nipped, though, so E.S. is probably a good choice for them.// In So/Fl, we set out non-deciduous plants in June so the summer rains can do the watering for us, but, as I said earlier, we don't 'do' hydrangeas down there.// I can use all the advice you're willing to give, so keep the tips coming, por favor. ...judy

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Judy,

South Carolina has ideal hydrangea growing conditions. They have an Autumn for the plants to wind down, harden the buds and get ready for winter, then they have a reasonably mild winter and then they have a decent Spring for the buds to become tender and start waking up again and then of course Summer to bloom. We don't have such gradual stages. Our plants don't get a real Autumn to harden their buds to the winter cold. We just go from Summer to Winter and back again in a matter of days, leaving the plants unprepaired for the "frost warnings" that come out of nowhere. Last February we only had 2 nights of frost/freeze warnings so covering up the plants wasn't such a big deal. (we never actually reached any lower than 33 degrees at my house and still I lost a couple of terminal buds on the uppermost portion of the plant, not that anyone but me would notice) When I asked the garden center manager at Lowes where the hydrangeas were located, he said to me "oh, so you don't want blooms next year? tee hee" (What a genious). But that gives you some idea of the Floridian mentality. For the most part, if you can't throw it in the ground, clip it into a ball,(or the shape of mouse ears) and forget about it, they are not interested nor very informed about them. We are on the very high end of the macrophylla hardiness zone range and zone 6, the low end, has it's own set of bloom issues, but ideal zones 7 and 8 have the easiest time of it so it comes as no surprise that your niece can probably neglect hers a bit and still get fantastic results. I'm not sure where you heard that hydrangeas don't do well in the southeast because they absolutely thrive in the southeast. (just not so much in central Florida, it being just a small portion of the most southern end of it) My comment referred only to ES and it was written by someone here on the forum which doesn't make it absolute but rather only one person's input. Again, time will tell, so far, lots of green but nothing else......yg

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

UPDATE:

Well, finally (October 12th) my ES are full of (good sized) flower buds that I suspect will be fully open in about a week. They are both under tree canopies and protected from mid-day sun, but the one that gets a little extra slanted sun in late afternoon has a bloom bud on every single stem while the other more shaded one has some flower buds too but it has much deeper and larger foliage. They are both leafed out nicely (as in Spring) with no leaf drop or fungus like some of my others start to get this time of year. Since they were just planted in early September, it is not fair to judge this performance as 'normal'. Next seasons performance will more accurately tell the story of ES in central Florida, but so far, so good......yg

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

I don't mean to intrude. I've been enjoying the interesting conversation. I know it must be extremely difficult to even find hydrangeas for sale down there. Just curious as to whether the same advice applies to Oakleaf hydrangeas or wild hydrangeas, both native to your state, or if they bloom reliably with less effort and protection?

And I usually make this offer just for trees but if there's a type of hydrangea that you want and can not find down there I'll be happy to look around for it here and arrange to ship it to you. There's oodles and oodles of hydrangeas here and I never really paid attention to them until recently. They are still very much full of flowers. From what I read they go dormant very late in the season even up here when fall occurs during the fall. That might explain the risks you would encounter in your climate.

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

HGSB,

My yard is pretty much as full of hydrangeas as it can get right now but thanks for the offer.

While Oakleafs are native to Florida, they are only native to the (colder) panhandle of Florida and not down here in central Florida. However, I was not planning to protect mine (eventually they will be too large for that anyway) as I believe (hoping) they are not as sensitive as the macrophyllas and mine are located in very protected spots of the yard. I think they will be ok, but we will have to get a real frost/freeze to know for sure......yg

• mboston_gw
    18 years ago

I live in Lakeland, between Orlando and Tampa. I have several well established mopheads, (type that turns blue or pink depending on soil. I also have several that are dark marroon in color that are smaller. All of these get too much sun during the summer so I get blooms in the spring then the bushes look terrible as the blooms turn brown and the leaves wither from the daily rain and the heat. I want to move some of the smaller ones to an area under my oak tree where I have some other younger bushes planted. These do better as far as heat but haven't boomed too well (this was their second summer). I do have a huge Oakleaf that loves it in the same area.

Anyway, my question is: I have been told to do the moving in Feb. but I really would like to take advantage of this nice weather and was hoping that do it now might help me get some blooms next year. I haven't trimmed any of them and usually don't. What would your advice be?

Also, everyone says theirs are still blooming. I only see a few scattered tiny flowers but no big blooms. If I don't move them, should I still feed them?

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Mboston,

Now is a great time to move them as they won't have to contend with that stressful heat while they are trying to get re-established and any kind of frost/freeze, if we get one, is still a good way off. One thing to remember however, is to position them according to Summer lighting conditions not Fall or Spring conditions. (learned that the hard way)

No doubt about it, macrophyllas set blooms better in the sun than in the shade, but down here unfortunately, the results tend to be as you have experienced, blooms that last about 5 minutes then burn up along with the leaves. Of course, if your oak tree provides shade that is too dense, you will have great looking plants without a ton of blooms. (this does not apply to Oakleafs, as they will bloom in shade) The happy medium (if you can get it) is for the sun to reach them until about 10:00 (summer time) and then have the tree provide some shade for the better part of the afternoon or plant them in a place (like an east or north facing foundation) where they will get protection from the eaves of the house, still get plenty of light but no direct sun ie: bright shade. Dappled all day filtered sun under a tall tree would be great too.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the word "water" about a hundred times as there is nothing more essential to happy hydrangeas in Florida, than daily watering during the summer.

I usually give mine their last feeding around labor day but with our long growing season and sandy soil, you can feed them until they are about to go dormant. (Nov?) Not all macrophyllas are alike so some of mine look like they are done for the season and others like my Nikko types, Endless Summer and Lilacina are still going strong and might well benefit from another dose of fertilizer. I would add however, that the ones that look best right now, are the ones that get the least amount of summer sun stress if that tells you anything. The ones that tend to wilt on a daily basis (regardless of water) are the ones that look pretty shabby right now. (all other conditions being equal).

If your yard is anything like mine, there are not as many ideal spots as there are hydrangeas I want to have, so if I had to choose between a spot that was a little too sunny or one that was a little too shady, I would opt for the shadier spot any day.

Hope this helps. Good luck.....yg

• mboston_gw
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am an avid butterfly gardener and I need the sunny space for my host and nectar plants but I hate giving up my hydrangeas totally. I have had some of them for about 12 years now. The big ones I will have to forgo but my smaller ones will be able to be transplanted, I hope.