SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

20 year old nikko (never) blue finally moved!

ditas
14 years ago

Good morning -

I finally got the nerve to move Nikko (never) Blue. I was planning this since June & mauling over it a lot longer, with hopes to carry out plans this Fall. For security, in case the efforts failed (following GeorgeÂs suggestions) I did some cuttings & after visiting *HydrangeasHydrangeas site* I learned about ÂSplit-pot ground-layering  did a couple as well.

I was excited to find that both split-pot specimens have rooted well  after severing from mom Nikko  roots were oozing out of the pot-holes & young stems w/ leaves have developed from several leaf nodes  the question now is whether to set them in ground or over-winter in the garage?

Considering the age of Mama Nikko & not knowing what kind of root system IÂll be dealing with, I hired some assistance  & the pleasant surprise  roots were not as monstrous as I imagined & feared from a 20y/o 5Â+tall x4Âwd shrub  also, 5 individual plants separated almost spontaneously, with some roots entangled, as expected, but easily separated w/ very little breaks!!!

Old Nik is now in a, close to ideal, spot & new LÂlight planted in NikÂs vacated sunny site. Hopefully, Winter does not come very early to give a bit of time for the 2 to settle down  ÂHydrangea Angels watch over them!!! Â;)

I hope this experience can help others thinking of moving old H shrubs ... will up date as needed. Thanks for reading! Â;)

Comments (11)