SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amcloud

DWC Tomato Questions

13 years ago

I am new to hydroponics. I did a little research and decided to give it a try. I did quite a few things wrong, but so far my tomatoes have survived. This is an experiment and I hope to be more successful with my next attempt. I am learning by trial and error. I inspect the plants everyday and try to adjust my system based on plant response. I have a few questions.

-Roma tomatoes and determinate beefstake type in separate buckets

-DWC - 5 gallon buckets

-commercial airpump with large airstones (should be no lack of dissolved oxygen)

-4 bulb 32watt High Output T5 fixture for growth, will switch to 150watt HPS for bloom. These are small varieties of tomatoes.

-Pure Blend Pro Grow nutrients - Bloom for later stages - following manufacturer's recommendations.

-Expanded Clay growing medium

-PH 6.0 (is this correct)

-Change solution @ 2 weeks

I started the seedlings under CFL shop lights and switched to the T5 when they gained some size.

I was drowning the plants when I started...water level almost to the top of the mesh baskets. They spent about 2 weeks like this. I corrected the problem and they are now developing a large root mass and are growing very quickly. All of the new foliage looks good. I lost a little lower foliage from drowning them - Yellow leaves, Purple underneath. Water level is now 2 inches below the mesh pot, and new root growth has reached the nutrient solution.

Recent problem: Tomato leaves are curling upward...not all, just some. Some slightly and some rolled all the way up tightly. No plant drooping. I thought this could be from heat so I raised the light last night. The curling seemed to occur once I switched from the CFLs to the T5 fixture. Some of the oldest leaves still look a little rough, but I think that was due to my overwatering, as all of the new foliage looks great except for some upward curling. This is occuring in both plants. Each have the same PH, same distance from light, same Airstone, different stages in growth so different concentrations of nutrients...so that leaves either light distance (heat) or PH I guess. Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (17)