SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Slugs and Black Vine Beetles

mctavish6
11 years ago

I'm meant to mention this when the subject of slugs comes up. This is not an option for me because I doubt there is a landscape service in our small town that does this but it has worked wonders for my sister in the north of Seattle.

She has always battled slugs, the giant ones. Her property has many huge trees in front and back. Her back yard borders on a mature woodland at the backside of a church. Even though neighbors on either side or her didn't have problems with their mostly cleared yards, she did. Slugs migrate so that all seemed headed for her hostas. She also has many gigantic rhododendron and black vine beetles love them and also hostas.

At the begining of last year she checked with her local (high end) nursery. There is a product available and used by Landscape services which I don't know the name of but could find out. The truck comes every three weeks and sprays your entire yard. It kills all slugs and most eggs. The cost is about $75. She figured it cost about $400 for the whole summer. When you think of the slug bate at $20 a bag which does maybe 3 treatments, or recently mentioned and expensive copper (which may or may not be effective) and the time involved - she felt it was well worth it. She had almost no slug damage at the very end of last year which was a miricle really.

As far as what it's made of it's fairly enviornmentally friendly. She was told that the only thing it would possibly hurt was worms if they were above the ground at the time of the spraying. She spent weeks thinking about that but finally realized she probably ran over more earthworms with the car than what would be hurt by the spray. I was there right after a treatment and we were moving plants around. We saw many, many happy healthy worms.

The black vine treatment was done only two or three times over the summer. All in all it was a great success for her and may help some of you who can afford it and have it available to you. I know I would do it if it were possible here. Hate those Slugs! Myrle

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!