SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
easygreenus

Hydroponic Nutrients for Tomato Questions

easygreenus
9 years ago

Hi,

Trying to grow Hydroponic Tomatoes in my basement. First crop was a loss, but I learned a lot. Second crop was doing much better until this week.

Four plants in Dutch Bato Buckets I have a good number of blossoms and have had good success converting the blooms to small tomatoes with an electric toothbrush. I had about 20 small tomatoes growing well when suddenly, seven of the largest developed Blossom End Rot. The largest being the size of a large green olive.

I know the first thought is Calcium deficiency. I am using Reverse Osmosis water, the three part General Hydroponics Flora Series along with their CaliMagic additive. To ten gallons of RO water, I added:

Flowering & Fruiting (1100-1500ppm)
Water (Gal) 10
Calmag (ml) 38
FloraMicro (ml) 100
FloraGro (ml) 50
FloraBloom (ml) 150

I also use the CaliMagic as a foliar spray once per week.

Questions:

1) Looking at the nutrient formula, does this look like I should have enough Calcium?

2) I've noticed something interesting. When I add PH UP to the nutrient reservoir, I usually add 10ml at a time diluted with another 90 ml of RO water. Then I "cast" it across the surface of the nutrient solution. I've noticed a white cloud that develops, but quickly dissipates. Is this normal? Or, could it be some nutrients precipitating out of solution?

3) When I first mix the nutrients, I dip a quart out in a glass measuring cup. Its the color of tea. After about 2-3 days, I check it again, and its colorless liquid? Is this normal?

4) I am running a twelve hour light cycle with three x fifteen minute feedings per day. Lights go on at 6am and I feed at 6am, 11:30am, and 5pm. My thinking is I should only feed during daylight hours and evenly space around the twelve hour period. Does this sound correct?

5) Has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (6)