SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydro_scotty

Hydroponic Lettuce and tomato issues

hydro_scotty
14 years ago

I have been growing for some time now but consistently have issues with my bibb and little gem lettuce heads. I am getting a browning edge on the leaf but more problematic is the awful head in the center. It almost doesn't grow and starts to look rotten with severe browning. I am growing other types of lettuce very successfully in the same system so it has left be scratching my head.

I also just started encountering problems with my tomato plant where the leaves are drying up and dying. Not sure why because the other plant is fine.

All suggestions welcome and needed.

Lettuce System is NFT gutter style from crop king.

Water  RO at 0 ppm prior to nutrient addition (40 gallons)

Flow rate per gutter is 0.6 L/min

Gutters are 8 feet long with 12 plants in each

Slope is 1:18 or 1 inch drop every 18 inches of run length

Nutrients  Technaflora BC Boost and Grow  I use a 2 part boost to 1 part grow

pH  5.8  6.3 - I usually adjust down after it exceeds 6.3. I use TechnafloraÂs pH up and down.

ppm  was 1,000 but lowered to around 700 due to this issue thinking it was strong nutrient. After lowering, everything appeared fine until later in life.

Light is a 1,000 watt MH

Temp  80 F

Humidity  42% during time light is on and 50  60% after light is off

Leaf tip browning and dying. Full center head growth is stunted.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hydroscotty09/RecentlyUpdated?authkey=Gv1sRgCJixu9nTgp2_6QE#5377978726699778626

The issues above are always happening on the softer leaf lettuce such as little gem, bibb and seasonal romaine mix. Oak leaf, ceasar/romaine and simpson elite are thriving in the system as seen here.

Tomato system is as follows:

System is a Dutch bucket with hydroton media.

Water  RO at 0 ppm prior to nutrient addition (30 gallons)

Flow rate is 0.8 L/min continuous per bucket

Nutrients  Technaflora BC Boost, Bloom and MagiCal  I use a 1 part boost to 1 part grow with ½ part MagiCal

pH  5.8  6.3 - I usually adjust down after it exceeds 6.3. I use TechnafloraÂs pH up and down.

ppm  1,100  1,300

Light is a 1,000 watt HPS

Temp  80 F

Humidity  42% during time light is on and 50  60% after light is off

PROBLEMS

Dying leaves  Turn very leathery feeling. Always happening to the older leaves.

Stem Curl

Here is a link that might be useful: Lettuce andf Tomato Pics

Comments (15)