SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growinsnow

Gravity Fed Passive System design help...too much water an issue?

9 years ago

I am wanting to put together a passive (no mechanics or power requirements) hydroponic system and I am stuck on one issue...WATER. I've used the Autopot extensively for a number of years, and I love it, but the larger setups are fairly expensive, and I have in the past had some of the aquavalves get clogged and ended up killing plants due to lack of water (I sometimes leave it unattended for several days).

I've attached a simple sketch of the design. My questions are:

1) Which type of bucket fill would be best: Expanded clay on bottom, followed by potting soil, OR Expanded clay on bottom, with a wick going from the clay up through the potting soil. Is the wick necessary? Would it help or hurt? What if I filled the entire pot with loose rockwool...etc.

2) Is having a consistent water level in the potting soil harmful to the roots? The soil will not be saturated, but given the design of the system the soil will never dry out completely either. (I plan on figuring out the wicking and water levels to keeps the potting soil at the correct moisture level). I am just wondering if having a 24/7 consistent moisture level will not allow the roots to breath. Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm hoping to make this a really large system with up to 48 buckets.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus